CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, March 16, 2009

15 years ago today...

15 years ago today I went to the doctor. I had already been to the doctor that week. I had already had blood taken and had been told to pee on command, in a small cup. Yippy Skippy. My first pee test came back kind of iffy. They called my mom and told her she needed to bring me back in. I cleaned the lunch room after school. When I called my mom to come pick me up she told me she would be there soon and that we were going back over to the doctors. I complained. I had a dance rehearsal that night. I asked her why we had to go back over and she said that something was wrong with my kidneys. As I hung up I just sat down... stunned. I thought: I am a junior in high school. I can't die. This is all I could think about. I walked in to the doctors office with my mom. I am not sure who was more scared her or me. The nurse said that I had too much protien and potassium in my urine. I had no clue what any of that ment or what it mattered. Then they gave me this.
It is a "hat" to catch all of your urine in. They wanted me to do a 24 urine so they could do further test. I told them I had school the next day. What was I supposed to do hold it all day? One of the nursed piped up and said that I could paint it green and wear it to school as my St . Pattys day hat. No not funny but it was something I will never forget.
It also comes with a container to collect it all in. The one I got 15 years ago looked more like a brownish orange 1/2 gallon milk jug. When you do these 24 hour urines you put the jug of urine in the fridge. My family jokes about not drinking the apple juice.

That day, March 16, 1994, I never thought I would become used to 24 urine tests, getting my blood taken all the time and being able to pee on command. Little did I know what the future would hold for me. Little did I know that 15 years later to the day I would be taking another 24
hour urine test. But, hey, at that time I didn't think I would be alive to tell about it.

To be continued...

7 comments:

girlsmama said...

I HATE the 24 hour urine test. It's a total pain. I hope that you endure it well and that the results are manageable.

It was great to spend the afternoon with you!

Alison said...

I totally remember when you had to do that...ok not the test specifically but at that time you were Cassie's cute little sister. I was so scared for you and we all prayed for you lots. You are an amazing person. I am glad all worked out good for you. What a miracle! I was wondering if you still had to do things because of it.

Mindy said...

You have been through so much, Holly! You are one amazing girl, that's for sure!

Alli said...

I sure hope everything turns out ok! I hate 24 hour urine catches as well. Have done them.. not fun! Keep us updated!

Tanya said...

i have only known you for such a short time, and i can already tell that you are such an awesome gal! hang in there!

Leisha and Tanner said...

I know how it feels sis.... the 24hr pee test and being scared about dying....having those thoughts in 8th grade just sucked....but heck we are both going strong....keep smilin'

gnat said...

I"m gonna have sypathy for you on this one. I have only had to do it twice but once is too many times for this activity. Ben always cloroxes the fridge when I'm done:) You are so strong.